Today from Hiiraan Online:  _
Officer tells how terror suspect was nabbed
Capital FM Kenya
Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Kenyan court was told Wednesday that Briton terror suspect Jermaine Grant had a huge bunch of keys and two mobile phones on his waist when he was arrested.

Police Constable James Maiyo who testified as the second state witness in Grant’s case told the court that the Briton was also found with a purple flash disk and some Sh2,700 at the time of his arrest in the populated Mtopanga area in Kisauni, Mombasa.

The police officer was testifying in a case where Grant is accused of being in possession of explosive materials alongside three other Kenyans Faud Abubakar Manswab alias Hassan, Warda Breik Islam and Frank Nyenyo Ngala alias Katoto.

The accused who appeared before Senior Principal Magistrate Joyce Gandani are represented by lawyers Chacha Mwita, Jared Bosire and Ngeno Birir.

During the cross-examination session, Maiyo said that Grant did not resist the arrest but his co-accused Faud Abubakar fled after he noticed the presence of police officers.

“I found Abubakar and Grant who identified himself as Peter Joseph Johnson at the time of the arrest next to a motorbike and I demanded to arrest them after we realised the two resembled the discription we were given by our senior bosses,” Maiyo told the court.

Maiyo who was cross-examined by State Prosecutor Jacob Ondari said they found Abubakar with two mobile phones, a pen-knife, mobile SIM card, driving licence and two identity cards with same identity numbers but with different serial numbers.

“I am from the anti-terrorism unit based in Nairobi and I was tasked to arrest the suspects. I can confirm that I arrested the right suspects,” said Maiyo.

Lawyer Mwita objected to Maiyo’s statement, saying it was upon the court to decide if the suspects were guilty or not.

“Mr Maiyo is giving conflicting statements and we wonder if he went through his statements he recorded with police,” wondered Mwita.

“Since we have two days for hearing and there are more witnesses remaining, I adjourn the case to tomorrow at 10.30 am,” said the magistrate.


Click here