Somali opposition postpones protest after mediation, plans to demonstrate within nine days


Saturday September 27, 2025

 

Mogadishu (HOL) — Somalia’s opposition on Thursday postponed a planned demonstration in Mogadishu after mediation by clan elders and lawmakers eased tensions that had raised fears of violence in the capital.

The protest, organized by the opposition Salvation Forum and originally scheduled for Saturday, was delayed for one week following talks led by the Imam, the Mudullood Chief, and a Hawiye parliamentary committee. Former President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, a leading opposition figure, took part in the discussions.

In a joint press conference on Friday night, the mediators and opposition leaders said demonstrations were a constitutional right and agreed that the protest will be held within nine days. Both sides pledged to work together on the logistics — including the time and location — to ensure it proceeds peacefully under government protection.

The deal helped defuse fears among Mogadishu residents that the protest could turn violent. Concerns had grown after armed guards for opposition politicians clashed with federal forces earlier this week outside Warta Nabada District Police Station. Prime Minister Hamse Abdi Barre condemned that incident as a “failed coup attempt” and vowed security forces would confront anyone threatening public safety.

Government officials told mediators they support freedom of assembly but stressed the need for coordination to guarantee security. Authorities also banned the deployment of troops, military vehicles or heavy weapons at demonstrations.

The opposition says the protests will denounce what it calls illegal land seizures and appropriation of public property in Mogadishu, including civic centers and markets.

 








Click here