
Thursday September 25, 2025

Mogadishu (HOL) — Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud said Thursday that federal troops deployed in Puntland could support regional authorities in combating the Islamic State group if requested.
Mohamud confirmed that Somali government soldiers are already stationed in the region but noted that Puntland has not asked Mogadishu for military assistance. He said the federal government respects Puntland’s decision to manage its own security operations but stands ready to provide support.
“Puntland is leading this fight independently, and we respect that,” Mohamud said. “But Somalia’s federal government is always prepared to step in if needed. We view the fight against ISIS as an existential threat to our nation, and we will not withhold any effort within our means.
Mohamud’s also echo his
recent statements that negotiations are underway with Puntland and Jubbaland to ease long-running tensions with Mogadishu. In a Sept. 17 interview, he confirmed that dialogue channels remain active and said he hoped disputes would be resolved before upcoming elections
The president said his government is pressing international partners to expand their involvement in countering ISIS in Somalia, similar to the backing given to the campaign against al-Shabab. He warned that both militant groups continue to undermine national stability and threaten regional security.
However, Puntland’s fight against ISIS intersects with its fraught relationship with Mogadishu. Regional leaders have previously accused the federal government of monopolizing international support earmarked for counterterrorism, arguing that aid intended for both ISIS and al-Shabab operations has been concentrated in Mogadishu.
Since March 2024, Puntland has
suspended cooperation with the federal government
over constitutional reforms it said undermined state autonomy. Vice President Ahmed Elmi Osman warned last week that Somalia risks “a return to 1991-style collapse” if the standoff is not resolved. Since March 2024, Puntland has suspended cooperation with the federal government over constitutional reforms it said undermined state autonomy. Vice President Ahmed Elmi Osman
warned last week that Somalia risks “a return to 1991-style collapse” if the standoff is not resolved.
The comments come as Puntland security forces intensified Operation Hilaac, a
months-long offensive against ISIS militants in the Al Miskaad mountains. Puntland fighters have
seized strongholds such as Wangable Well in Bari region and captured foreign fighters fleeing the front lines, according to local authorities. Nearly 20 Puntland soldiers were
killed in late August during heavy fighting in the Baallade valley.
ISIS fighters established a presence in Puntland’s Bari region in 2015, where they have carried out sporadic attacks and clashed with security forces. Although smaller than al-Shabab, analysts warn the group remains resilient and poses a persistent threat to local and regional stability.