Somali president rejects term extension as opposition sues over constitutional reforms


Tuesday September 23, 2025


Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud speaks during an interview with BBC Somali Service, where he ruled out extending his term in office and defended his government’s handling of constitutional reforms. CREDIT: BBC Somali

Mogadishu (HOL) — Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud ruled out extending his term in office and defended his government’s handling of constitutional reforms, saying Somalia must press ahead with one-person, one-vote elections despite mounting opposition.
In an exclusive interview with the BBC Somali Service, Mohamud said only the country’s independent electoral commission has the authority to set the timetable or request delays, not politicians. “No individual politician has veto power,” he said. “If time proves insufficient, only the commission can ask for more time.”
The president said his administration followed constitutional procedures in revising the provisional charter, establishing an independent commission that was approved by parliament. He argued lawmakers had the authority to amend agreements reached with federal member states, even if those changes were unpopular. “The constitution is not the Quran,” he said.
Mohamud added that many of his opponents once pledged to complete the constitution and introduce universal suffrage but now resist the very reforms they campaigned on. “We are moving forward with what they themselves once promised,” he said.
Opponents contend the reforms were rushed and not inclusive, with Puntland and Jubbaland insisting that the process did not follow the proper path. Mohamud dismissed those claims, saying his government had already accepted several opposition proposals and remained open to further dialogue. “If a clause is wrong, then tell us why and what should replace it,” he said.
On his strained ties with Puntland and Jubbaland, Mohamud said Somalia remains united despite differences. “Our relations never break completely. They may be delayed or fall short, but ties remain,” he said. “This is one nation, and differences must be acknowledged within that reality.”
The interview coincided with Mohamud’s meetings with senior U.S. officials on the sidelines of the 80th United Nations General Assembly in New York. According to state media, the president met with Allison Hooker, head of political affairs at the U.S. State Department; Massad Boulos, advisor on African affairs to former President Donald Trump; and Vincent Spera, deputy assistant secretary for African affairs.
His remarks also come as a coalition of opposition figures, including former presidents and prime ministers, announced plans to sue his administration in Somali courts and international jurisdictions. The Somali Salvation Forum accused Mohamud of corruption, human rights abuses, and unconstitutional amendments that expanded presidential powers.
In a statement Tuesday, the group criticized the government for delaying state elections, failing to produce a credible framework for the 2026 vote, and carrying out forced evictions tied to illegal land sales. It warned Somalia faces a “sensitive political and constitutional crisis” that threatens state-building and the fight against al-Shabab.
Mohamud said his ultimate goal remains completing the constitution and moving Somalia away from the clan-based electoral system toward universal suffrage. “I accept only what the law allows,” he said, rejecting calls for a term extension.








Click here