
Wednesday November 5, 2025

Mogadishu (HO) — At least 800 Al-Shabaab fighters, including
50 senior leaders, have been killed over the past year in operations against
Al-Shabaab and ISIS militants, Somali Defense Minister Ahmed Macalin Fiqi said
on Wednesday.
Speaking in Mogadishu, Minister Fiqi announced that the
government is launching a new phase of military operations targeting Al-Shabaab
strongholds, with a focus on areas recently recaptured and those previously
under government control.
He noted that in recent months, the government has
prioritized reforming and training the national army to enhance its operational
capacity.
Minister Fiqi also revealed a proposal to recruit 10,000
additional soldiers to replace personnel who have been killed, injured, disabled,
or defected. However, he said the plan has not yet been implemented.
“Somalia has been fighting terrorism for 18 years. Building
a strong and well-equipped national army is essential to defeating Al-Shabaab
and ISIS,” Fiqi said, urging the international community to provide greater
support for equipping and professionalizing Somali forces.
The minister also expressed concern over the shortage of
heavy weaponry, which he said continues to hamper the government’s efforts to
eliminate the insurgent groups and stabilize the country.