
Tuesday August 5, 2025

Mogadishu (HOL) – Puntland regional administration has
confirmed the release of a vessel carrying military equipment and commercial
goods to Mogadishu, following a high-level agreement with the Government of
Türkiye.
Puntland President Said Abdullahi Deni received a senior
Turkish delegation led by Ambassador Alper Aktaş in Bosaso on Monday. The visit
marked the conclusion of protracted negotiations over the MV Sea World, a cargo
vessel intercepted last month by Puntland's Maritime Police Force (PMPF) near
the coastal town of Bareda in the Gardafuu region.
The ship, flying the Comoros flag, was reportedly en route
from the Turkish port of Izmir to Mogadishu. It was found to be carrying
military hardware, including armored vehicles, mine-resistant ambush-protected
(MRAP) vehicles, and anti-aircraft guns, many bearing Turkish military
insignia.
Puntland authorities initially raised concerns about the
ownership and legality of the cargo, prompting a standoff with the federal
government in Mogadishu. The Turkish government, however, maintained that the
cargo was part of a legitimate bilateral defense agreement between Somalia and
Türkiye.
In a statement issued on Monday, the Puntland Government
said it had received evidence from Turkish authorities proving their ownership
of the cargo. “Based on the evidence submitted by the Turkish Government and
the investigation conducted on the vessel and its cargo, Puntland has decided
to transfer responsibility for the MV Sea World and its cargo to the Turkish
Government,” the statement read.
The Somali federal government had earlier condemned
Puntland's interception of the vessel, calling it an unlawful act that
endangered national security cooperation. In a July 23 statement, Mogadishu
said the shipment was authorized under a defense agreement and was destined for
the TÜRKSOM Military Training Centre. It also stated that the cargo included
commercial goods belonging to Somali traders.
Federal officials accused Puntland of undermining national
unity by conducting unauthorized maritime operations and warned that such
actions could jeopardize Somalia’s international security partnerships.
Puntland, in turn, disputed the federal government’s
account. In a July 24 statement, it insisted the cargo was solely military
hardware of unclear ownership and denied the presence of any commercial goods.
The administration also noted that local fishermen had boarded the ship before
PMPF forces arrived, raising fears that some weapons may have been looted.