Job Description: Area Business Development Specialist
Position Title: Area Business Development Specialist - Shuraako
Reports To: Program Director and Associate Program Director
Job Type: Contractor
Area: In and around Mogadishu
Date: March 2013
OEF is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization with a vision of developing effective systems of global governance to achieve a world beyond war, leading to our tagline “Peace Through Governance.” Central to OEF’s mission is partnering closely with the business community. As an operating foundation, OEF focuses on both researching and developing ideas, and implementing those ideas in practical projects.
About the Shuraako Program
Shuraako’s objective is to identify businesses and other initiatives that create jobs in Somalia. That information is compiled on an international website (www.shuraako.org), which was launched in September 2012. The Shuraako program is about connections: We act as a neutral broker to help connect you to potential partners, businesses, markets, suppliers, technical assistance, and other investors and donors working in Somalia
Primary Job Responsibility
The Shuraako program is seeking to hire an area business development specialist located in Mogadishu, and responsible for the area in and around Mogadishu. The area business development specialist will be the professional point of contact for the Shuraako program in and around Mogadishu. He/she will conduct research and compile information on existing businesses in the region, as well as those businesses’ requirements for investment and technical assistance, and locate and map local businesses based on the Shuraako program criteria. The Business development specialist will also be responsible for regularly updating the Shuraako team on all relevant business developments in and around Mogadishu.
Essential Job Duties
· Identify investment options within existing businesses and/or potential businesses that are most feasible for potential investors to invest in based on scalability, repetition, job creation, profitability, and sustainability of the business.
· Be the “on-the-ground” eyes, ears, and voice for Shuraako program in and around Mogadishu.
· Identify local business needs such as technical assistance, access to markets, networks, credit, business knowledge, business mentoring, etc.
· Promote the Shuraako program by building relationships with the business community, business associations, civil society, and government. (i.e. “Chamber of Commerce”)
· Assist investment opportunities with standardized investment applications, preparing in-depth reviews of relevant financial information and documentation.
· Assist Shuraako team to provide post-funding/post investment technical assistance to partners.
· Regularly update Shuraako team about business investment opportunities progress and challenges.
· Travel in and around Mogadishu area, cities, and villages to conduct site visits to investment opportunities.
· Collect data and information related to private sector development and job creation in and around Mogadishu.
· Identify Somali and non-Somali investors who have invested in local businesses.
· Complete weekly activity reports and submit to the Program Director by email.
· Participate in weekly meetings with the Program Director via Skype.
· Perform other related activities as required in order to ensure Shuraako program success.
· Assist with monitoring Shuraako-supported projects
· Comply with Shuraako project regulations and commitment to One Earth Future’s Vision (www.oneearthfuture.org) and Shuraako’s Goals (www.shuraako.org).
· Must be a current resident of at least 5 to 10 years in and around Mogadishu
· Must be able to travel in and out of Somalia, as well as to North America and Europe
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Economics, or other related field.
· At least 7 years of relevant work experience, including in the areas of business development and/or sales. An entrepreneurial-minded individual a must!
· Demonstrated networking and outreach skills within different sectors (business, government, and civil society).
· An extensive network of relationships within the business community in and around Mogadishu (ideally business, government and civil society) strongly preferred.
· Fluency in Somali and English is required; Skills in another language, a plus.
· Computer skills – experience and knowledge of computer operations, knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
Please send a cover letter detailing relevant experience and a current resume or CV to Kelly Backens at
[email protected] Please reference “Area Business Development Specialist” in the subject line of your email.