Tuesday, May 28, 2013
by: Shain Germaner
Two Zimbabweans were shot dead by a Somali shopkeeper in Diepsloot, Johannesburg. Picture: Govan Whittles/EWN.
JOHANNESBURG - As police continue monitoring Diepsloot after a spate of violent attacks on foreign owned shops, the local ward councillor has called for an end to violence.
More than 30 shops were looted in the area overnight and police arrested 45 men allegedly responsible.
The trouble began when two Zimbabwean men were killed in the township allegedly by a Somali national at the weekend.
This sparked widespread looting and violent protests.
Councillor Abraham Mabuke says his ward is currently in a state of anarchy but warned further attacks on foreign shops will not be tolerated.
Mabuke says he is trying to facilitate an imbizo to find a way to stop the violence before it is too late.
Meanwhile, government has condemned the attacks in Diepsloot and other similar incidents in Evaton, Orange Farm and Sebokeng.
Government called the attacks "pure criminal activity".
Last week, South Africa commemorated the 2008 xenophobic attacks in which more than 60 foreigners were killed.
The violence started in Alexandra before spreading throughout the country. Locals accused foreign nationals of stealing their jobs and committing crimes in their areas.
Back then government was criticised for taking too long to respond.