Today from Hiiraan Online:
Members of the Somali Civil Society Coalition condemn violence in Mogadishu
Monday, October 01, 2012
Members of the Somalia Civil Society Coalition (SCSC), a network of 120 organisations, have been meeting in Mogadishu for the last four days to talk about the security issues alarming many of the cities residents.
1. The group condemns, in the strongest possible terms the spike of violence in the last few weeks.
2. For example the IDP mortar attack in Mogadishu; The suicide bombing that took place at 'The Village' restaurant, killing children, elderly people and women. Journalists who have been seen as the target of the attack have been shot and killed in the following days.
3. Many of the victims were regular people going about their normal businesses, and were not overtly political.
4. The killings targeting leaders and citizens may be meant to limit the enjoyment of life. The attack on journalists also has a immense impact on the right to free speech in Somalia and to attack journalists is to attack the right of the Somali Civil Society and all her citizens to speech, opinion and to participation in governance.
5. This bombing is an example of the spike in violence that has been witnessed in Mogadishu since the new administration took office a few weeks ago.
6. We encourage all Somalis regardless of their political views to participate in restoration of security and nation building.
7. These attacks shows, yet again, that the perpetrators have no respect for sanctity of human life. The people of Somalia will continue to stand with resolve to ensure the nascent sustained peace is achieved in Somalia.
8. We offer our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of all of the victims, and we wish for a full recovery to the injured.
9. The SCSC makes a call for protection of civilians in newly liberated areas and areas in Somalia that are still witnessing conflict.
10. The SCSC is concerned about the use of children and the youth in the violence and makes a call to their parents to protect their children and ensure that they don’t engage in these acts of violence.
11. The SCSC is ready to support good governance, reconciliation, peace building and stabilization. The call upon the new institutions to support the promised changes by the newly appointed government and the SCSC is ready to work to promote these changes.
Hunt. Capture. Kill. At sea with the pirate police
MSF opposes repatriation of Somali refugees
- Capital FM
From Refugee to IDP in Somaliland
- UN Dispatch
A look at Minneapolis' terror-related trial
'Watch The Thomas Crown Affair to learn about Samantha Lewthwaite'
Kenya beefs up security near border with Somalia, recovers rifles
Somali, AU troops in no rush to enter Kismayu
Kenya navy shells Kismayu after al-Shabaab's retreat
Media: 2012, worst year for Somali journalists - CPJ
Somalia overpowering al-Shabaab but old rivalries pose new threat
For most Somalis, the only answer is flee
Somalis Attacked in Nairobi After Deadly Church Blast
All Rights Reserved Copyright. © 1999-2022, www.hiiraan.com