2014-10-21
Today from Hiiraan Online:  _
Police confirm man cautioned after bomb alert at Liverpool mosque is Somalian NOT Danish

Mohamed Mansur and Rahma Sani outside the Mosque Mohamed Mansur and Rahma Sani outside the Mosque

Liverpool Echo
Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Abandoned suitcase sparked security alert and controlled explosions on Sunday night.

A man arrested after a suitcase was left at Liverpool’s main mosque is actually Somalian and not Danish, as police previously stated.

Merseyside Police have just confirmed that the 22-year-old man, who was cautioned and released following the incident, is in fact from Somalia not Denmark.

Two controlled explosions were carried out after the suspect package – feared to be a bomb – was left at the Al Rahma mosque, in Mulgrave Street, Toxteth on Sunday evening.
The bomb squad outside the mosque on Mulgrave Road in Toxteth
The bomb squad outside the mosque on Mulgrave Road in Toxteth


Police held a meeting with faith leaders yesterday to update them on the investigation, and announced this morning a 22-year-old who had been arrested was spoken to about his behaviour before being cautioned.

Officers had taken away CCTV footage which showed the moment a man turned up at the mosque saying he wanted to become a Muslim.

Suspicions were aroused when, after spending about 15 minutes inside the building, he abruptly ran off, leaving a metal suitcase on the premises.

One quick-thinking worshipper dragged the suitcase out while the police were called.

Army bomb disposal experts then arrived to  carry out a controlled explosion.

The bomb squad outside the mosque on Mulgrave Road in Toxteth
The bomb squad outside the mosque on Mulgrave Road in Toxteth


Police  confirmed that no explosive materials were found at the scene.

The Al Rahma mosque serves as the main place of worship and focus point for Liverpool’s 25,000-strong Muslim community.

Some mosque leaders said they feared the incident was aimed at stirring up hatred in the community.

They also revealed the mosque had received a string of malicious phone calls in the aftermath of the death of Drummer Lee Rigby, who was killed in Woolwich in May.

Mosque administrator Mohamed Mansur said: “While no direct threats were made, the calls were insulting to the Muslim community.”

He said he was not aware of similar occurrences at any of the smaller mosques in the city, adding: “When someone wants to target something, they target the big ones.”

General secretary of the Liverpool Muslim Society based in the mosque, Rahma Sani, said she believed it was some kind of prank or hoax.

She said: “I think it was someone just being stupid and ignorant wanting to arouse the community and add to the tension.”

Police said the investigation to establish the full circumstances of the incident was still ongoing.

Detective Inspector Lisa Mahon said: “I would like to reassure the local community that there is no evidence that this item was left at this location to cause alarm or distress.”





Post your comments